(2014: 11/01) Buffy S01: Never Kill a Boy on the First Date

Watching one episode of Buffy per week until they synch up with Angel and then watching a Buffy and an Angel each week. There will be one topic per episode.

(2014: 11/01) Buffy S01: Never Kill a Boy on the First Date

Postby Teep_P12 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:52 pm

Show: Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Season: 01
Title: Never Kill a Boy on the First Date
Original Air Date: Monday, March 31, 1997
Network (in the US): The WB
Watch: November 01, 2014
Production Code: 4V05
Written By: Rob Des Hotel, Dean Batali
Directed By: David Semel
Teep_P12
Site Admin

Re: (2014: 11/01) Buffy S01: Never Kill a Boy on the First D

Postby Teep_P12 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:20 pm

Running commentary...

-Giles tells Buffy her method of killing takes too much time and energy and it should just be plunge and move on. If that's what she did, Spike wouldn't have been around as long and we wouldn't have gotten the great counseling session with Holden on Conversations with Dead People.
-First episode with The Annoying Anointed One. Crazy he's even still around by the time we get to School Hard the following season. Stupid, lame idea to have that kid around.
-First mention of the Order of Aurelius. Their symbol is a sun with three stars.
-First time they use the line "here endeth the lesson." First time in "Never Kill a Boy on the First Date" by the Master, second in "Fool For Love" by Spike, and third in "Showtime" by Buffy.
-Owen seems like Riley. Even the chat in front of the bookcase.
-That is one very short dress.
-Giles says that revealing herself as the slayer will put her friends and acquaintances in danger. Seems like keeping the information from them puts them in more danger than if they knew what was going on.
-I think I've been on a greyhound bus with that guy before.
-Xander has a Tweety Bird watch. The only watch I have is my Mickey Mouse watch. It was a graduation present from my future husband back when we were in high school. :)
-Owen says he'll pick up Buffy at 7 PM but there is never any discussion about where he'll pick her up. Maybe he "beeps" here for the information.
-Xander watching naked Buffy in the mirror. Perve!
-If the apocalypse comes...beep me. A beeper. Can't remember if beepers were every mentioned again. And they didn't get cell phones until season 7.
-I really like that Cordy eventually became a better person. Too bad about everything after. :(
-Minions on this show suck...LOL!
-Watchers should know enough to be armed with something more deadly than a cross!
-Jealousy from Angel already.
-Angel hair. It does get a little better...eventually.
-Wouldn't the vamps have smelled Giles or heard his heartbeat?
-Giles gets knocked out. Big surprise.
-Owen at least had Spike's enthusiasm for the hunt. Just not the strength. Bye, bye, normal guy #1. She should have learned her lesson then.
-Giles wanted to be a fighter pilot or a grocer at age 10.
-That's her friends and watcher being careful?
-This is the first big father like speech from Giles to Buffy.
-That kid is definitely evil...for realsies!
Teep_P12
Site Admin

Re: (2014: 11/01) Buffy S01: Never Kill a Boy on the First D

Postby Teep_P12 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:26 pm

Another episode I had to get through despite not liking it very much.

The "Kids"
Christopher Wiehl ... Owen Thurman ... 26
Andrew J. Ferchland ... Collin (The Anointed One) ... 10
Teep_P12
Site Admin

Return to Buffy & Angel Rewatch