(2014: 10/26-10/28) Buffy S01: (The) Witch

Watching one episode of Buffy per week until they synch up with Angel and then watching a Buffy and an Angel each week. There will be one topic per episode.

(2014: 10/26-10/28) Buffy S01: (The) Witch

Postby Teep_P12 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:54 pm

Show: Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Season: 01
Title: The Witch
Original Air Date: Monday, March 17, 1997
Network (in the US): The WB
Watch: October 26, 2014 to October 28, 2014
Production Code: 4V03
Written By: Dana Reston
Directed By: Stephen Cragg
Teep_P12
Site Admin

Re: (2014: 10/26-10/28) Buffy S01: The Witch

Postby Teep_P12 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:13 pm

Running commentary...

-Glad I had the chance to visit Sunnydale High during one of my LA visits. Easier to picture everything.
-How exactly did Buffy think she was going to fit cheer-leading into her life? I remember it being pretty time consuming when I did it in middle school and high school requires even more dedication.
-The bracelet of "much importance" is the gun shown in act one that...
-Weird. Mom/Amy seems pretty nice. For some reason I thought she started out as Amy and become Mom/Amy later in the episode but that wasn't the case. Been a long time since I watched this one.
-On fire...and no dancing demon in sight!
-"Spontaneous human combustion is very rare."
-Combustion usually caused by rage and high emotion.
-Sometimes you wonder how much of Buffy got recycled on purpose and how much by happy accident!
-One of my favorite early Xander lines. "I laugh in the face of danger. And then I hide until it goes away."
-Poor neglected Buffy.
-Poor abandoned Amy...but not so much.
-Gym showers...that gives me more nightmares than monsters ever did.
-If Xander and Buffy had just had a date, maybe he could have moved on...?
-All.Buffy's.Fault.
-Drive it through Xander's head like a railroad Spike. He's lucky that never happened to him. Just proves how good Spike eventually became. I wouldn't have been able to resist. After Entropy I would have hired someone if I was in Spike's place.
-Why are all the girls on this show such poor drivers? I thought Joss was GIRL!POWER! and anti-stereotype?
-Willow's first known exposure to witchcraft.
-Xander checks out witchcraft books (to see the naked).
-Willow is already good with the dissection and newt killing. Only a magical hop, skip, and jump to Bambi murder.
-Nice house for a single mom with a cosmetology degree who isn't actually working since she and Amy switched bodies months before...hmm?
-First admittage to mom of vampire slayage activities.
-Xander shaped friend. Who is just like one of the girls.
-A vengeance spell. An unratted Amy would make an excellent vengeance demon (if you disregard the comic books).
-Poor Amy. Spent so little of her life in her own body. First Mom/Amy and then Rat/Amy.
-Pretty black kitty. MEOW!
-A bit dangerous to not have Amy/Mom tied up for the big body exchange.
-Darth Mom/Amy.
-That Ripper series would have been awesome!
-Yep! No one ever remembers to tie up the bad guy.
-Soul go bye, bye.
-Giles claims it's his first casting. Lie or Ripper retcon? Can't imagine that Watcher's didn't have to practice some spells.
-So, Amy is back with Dad?
-No Angel in this one.
-Mom in the trophy...for now.
Teep_P12
Site Admin

Re: (2014: 10/26-10/28) Buffy S01: The Witch

Postby Teep_P12 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:29 pm

The "Kids"
Elizabeth Anne Allen ... Amy Madison ... 26

The "Adults"
Robin Riker ... Catherine Madison ... 44

I should have mentioned Joss's age earlier. He was 25 when he started writing for Roseanne, 28 for the Buffy Movie, and 32 for the unaired Buffy Pilot.

Even thought I haven't seen this episode in a long time, it's actually one of my favorites from the first season. I think it really showed the potential of what Buffy would become. It also has one of my favorite endings.

Charisma Carpenter actually was a real life cheerleader for the San Diego Chargers.

Interesting deleted scene:

Xander: "Wow, you've got a killer streak I've never seen before. Hope I never cross you."
Willow: "I do, too. Then I'd have to carve you up into little pieces."

No vampires in this episode at all.
Teep_P12
Site Admin

Re: (2014: 10/26-10/28) Buffy S01: (The) Witch

Postby sister cuervo » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:29 am

I had forgotten about this episode. It was fun!
I picked up on the Giles retcon, too. I think Joss forgot this when they wrote the episode on Egon.
I wonder how Amy found time to get with the evil crowd so quickly after being a rat for years?
sister cuervo
Vamp

Re: (2014: 10/26-10/28) Buffy S01: (The) Witch

Postby Teep_P12 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:14 pm

sister cuervo wrote:I had forgotten about this episode. It was fun!
I picked up on the Giles retcon, too. I think Joss forgot this when they wrote the episode on Egon.
I wonder how Amy found time to get with the evil crowd so quickly after being a rat for years?

I started watching Buffy in season two and then decided to go back and watch season one shortly after that. After the first few episodes, I wasn't sure if it would be worth it. It was this episode that convinced me to stick it out and watch the rest of that first season despite being Spike free.

Maybe Amy had a bad life with her Dad and got involved with the wrong crowd before she became a rat. Those magic pushers can be relentless!
Teep_P12
Site Admin

Return to Buffy & Angel Rewatch