(2014: 10/12-10/18) Buffy S01: Welcome to the Hellmouth

Watching one episode of Buffy per week until they synch up with Angel and then watching a Buffy and an Angel each week. There will be one topic per episode.

Re: (2014: 10/12-10/18) Buffy S01: Welcome to the Hellmouth

Postby Teep_P12 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:29 pm

Pasty wrote:I didn't like the to be continued and I don't think they ever did that again, did they?

I think the below have the TBC but I'm not sure.

Season 2
What’s My Line? Part 1 & 2
Becoming, Part 1 & 2

Season 3
Graduation Day, Part 1 & 2

Season 6
Bargaining, Part 1 & 2
Teep_P12
Site Admin

Re: (2014: 10/12-10/18) Buffy S01: Welcome to the Hellmouth

Postby laimelady » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:51 pm

S1 E1 Welcome to the Hellmouth

Rewatched with Josh commentary. Snarky, yet self-deprecating, opening remarks. Insights into production aspects.
First thought of the little blonde girl goes into alley and gets killed in every horror movie. The idea of Buffy the Movie was to subvert that image and create a hero where she had always been a victim. That element of surprise of genre busting (as fist smahes through window) is at heart of both movie and the series.
Darla sequence part of that mission as helpless blonde girl, Julie Benz, who at end of scene turns out to be more than expected. Anyone versed in horror movies knows what’s gonna happen in this scene. Always try to surprise them to subvert the obvious.
Shot in Santa Monica warehouse because had no real studio. Produced by FOX for the WB who had enthusiasm but no money. Tight Budget. JW coming from movies had no idea how to do television.
What I suspected, same ole singular school hallway repeated because they didn’t have any other!
Mission statement of show “Nothing is as it Seems.”
Nerf Herder introduced to JW by Allison.
Nick on skateboard was movie technique not repeated due to difficulty.
SMG great because takes audience with her. Open book.
Classic 1st meeting of boy meets girl. JW IDs with Xander as outcast.
HS mission statement. We few people that no one knows you exists. Friends only real.
Superficial Cordy, might be nice set up really nice Willow.
Learned early on Allison’s vulnerability play.
Library aka bat cave. Important labyrinth/

Mr GIles Tony Head instantly knew right for part! Undercurrent youth and sexiness. Trying to figure out his own life while kids are as well.
Wacky California speak modified early into how JW and writers spoke.

Won't drag on if want can read at Buffy S1E1 - 03.10.1997 *\o/* Girl-Power!
"I drank WHAT!?" ~Socrates
America Drives RIGHT Passes LEFT
laimelady
Master Vamp

Previous

Return to Buffy & Angel Rewatch