Current TV shows#4

Current TV shows#4

Postby Myth » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:00 am

The New Year starts with the final Season of DOWNTON ABBEY. January 3 at 9 pm on PBS.
"Cake or death?" Eddie Izzard DRESSED TO KILL
Myth
Vamp

Re: Current TV shows#4

Postby Paula » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:13 pm

Great to have DOWNTON ABBEY back if for no other reason than Violet's line to Isobel, "Does it ever get cold on the high moral ground?" :lol: Amen! Violet's takedown of Denker was really great, too. Now, maybe that poor butler can relax for five minutes. Probably not.

Kind of sorry to see Mary's blackmail situation dealt with so swiftly. I can't stand her so I like seeing her squirm. Don't really get how Robert now considers Mary up to the task of overseeing Downton. He was the one who got rid of the chambermaid, not her. Oh well. I did enjoy watching Mary fall off her horse into the mud puddle even if the symbolism was less than subtle.

Anna's already getting on my nerves. Oh, woe is me! I'm not pregnant. Jesus, lady! You just found out you're not going to jail. Lighten up already. Kind of wish Bates would tell her to lay off the Perils of Pauline act for one day.

Let me see if I get this straight. Edith owns a newspaper, has a really cool London apartment, and is free to raise her daughter and she's still wondering whether or not she should stay at Downton? WTF? Does she enjoy being Mary's punching bag? Get the hell out of there, Edith! Lord knows I would have bailed years ago if I were in her shoes. I don't know. Maybe she thinks the Bloomsbury Group is a bunch of assholes and she wants to steer clear of them. Can't imagine Virginia Woolf was a lot of fun at parties. :lol:

Found it pretty hard to believe that Carson was willing to discuss Mrs. Hughes "wifely duties" with Mrs. Patmore. Sure, it made for some funny and ultimately sweet scenes, but I just don't buy that he would ever say anything about his sex life with her. Hell, I can't imagine him broaching the topic with Mrs. Hughes!

Daisy, you are one dumb girl. I'm on Carson's side. He should have fired her ass. Felt really bad for Daisy's father-in-law. He must have been thinking, "What the hell did my son ever see in this nitwit?"
Paula
Vamp

Postby Myth » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:01 pm

I tend to wait before commenting on DA because I am afraid of cyber stones being thrown at me. I checked out a few other forums and it seems there are many who feel the same way as I do about DA so I am feeling 'all' braved up now. I love period dramas along with the scenery and costumes and....Maggie Smith. I truly loved S1 but then along came S2 and I felt adrift. Same with all the other Seasons and I am guessing, after this first episode for the new Season, my feelings won't change. Sigh. The only way I can describe my feelings is by saying that DA hits paragraph headings but no paragraph follows. Everything is abbreviated so I am not invested in the characters anymore with the exception of Mrs. Patmore, Daisey, Violet and Mrs. Hughes. OMG...we go from 2 murder dramas to infertility drama with the Bates and we still have a nasty Mary who seems to be brilliant in everything. Sheesh. Run Edith run to London! I will watch until the end but DA is not must-see for me anymore. Shame really.

Yes Paula...Violet has the best zingers of anyone. I also liked the one about 'ruling with power'.

TEEN WOLF started last night for the second half of its Season. I actually liked this series S1 and S2 because it reminded of BTVS in a way. It is now a rushed mess IMHO. I still like Dylan O'Brien and I like that some of the grown-ups will be back this Season.

I watched the first hour of THE SHANNARA CHRONICLES. The CGI and sets are beautiful. Manu Bennett is in this so there is an older hunka hunka but otherwise, it looks like the casting directors from the CW were active in picking the cast.
Myth
Vamp

Postby Paula » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:42 pm

Rather mundane episode of DOWNTON ABBEY last night. Awfully early in the season to get a filler episode, isn't it? Already bored with the great hospital battle. The only good aspect of that storyline is the Dowager Countess and her one liners. Always love characters who do not suffer fools gladly.

So hoping Anna has a kid as soon as possible so she'll lay off this "poor me" crap. Honestly, that woman is working my last nerve. Anna's lucky she's married to Bates. The man has the patience of a saint.

Also hope we've seen the last of the Drews. Really creepy how fixated the wife is on Marigold. Umm, doesn't she already have children, children she gave birth to? Almost expect one of them to say, "Hello, Mum? Remember me?" Seriously, Mrs. Drew looks like her next destination should be the funny farm.

I'll be darned. Cora acknowledged the fact that Mary is a nasty piece of work and would most likely use Marigold's parentage as a weapon against Edith. Wasn't even aware that anybody at Downton knew Edith lived there. I swear that woman's a ghost most of the time. I know it won't happen, but I wouldn't be against a spinoff with Edith as a working single mother in London. Keep the aunt, too.

Jeez, Carson sure is being a dick to Thomas. Okay, the guy's been a nasty schemer in the past, but when a man's down on the mat, you're supposed to let up. I just don't get why Thomas thinks he's going to be let go. I know they've established that people are losing their jobs at the great houses, but he's been at Downton for several years. I'd think he'd be one of the last ones to get the boot. The more recent hires are the ones who should be sweating right now.

Daisy, do shut up please. If they want to trim the staff, start with her!
Paula
Vamp

Postby Paula » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:48 pm

I think I'm going to have a hard time referring to Mrs. Hughes as Mrs. Carson. Still, I'm glad they didn't drag out the Carsons/Hughes nuptials until the very last episode of DOWNTON ABBEY. I think if I was Mrs. Carson I'd be a bit ticked off at Tom for crashing the reception. Sure, they're happy to see him, but he kind of stole the spotlight. I have to admit I'm a little disappointed that they brought Tom back. Nothing against the guy. I just like how they wrote out his character and I'm not really buying the idea that he prefers life at Downton. Seems pretty out of character to me. Maybe there's more to the story. Hope so, but I'm not holding my breath. Still, it would be funny if DA ends with the Crawleys all going their separate ways with Tom saying, "What the hell happened? I came back for this?"

Edith, do you need any more evidence that you should ditch Downton and relocate to London? Now you've got a man who's interested in you and fully supports your work. Get outta there, but before you go, take one good swing at that bitch, Mary. :lol:

Robert has indigestion? Yeah. I'm sure nothing serious is going on there. :?
Paula
Vamp

Postby Myth » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:40 pm

Paula - I had a horrible thought that Tom came back to be Mary's love interest. Ewww and ewwww!! Mary has not had a suitor as yet so it just may mean Tom is back for that reason or Mary will end up in charge of DA after her father dies. See? I already killed him off. Mary will be a 'new age' woman who doesn't need a man!! Oh my....how my minds works. I am glad it is the last Season because otherwise we could have been subjected to Mr. or Mrs. Carson having a secret life and a murder and train tracks.... :roll:

I feel sorry for Thomas and hey!! is Daisy permanently dwelling in the Land of Assumption? Oh well, I think we all know the Mr. Mason will get the new farmm

I still like THE EXPANSE and I am tickled with GALAVANT. There!! I said it and I am proud :!:

I watched 4 eps of ANGIE TREBECA and it is stupid funny. It's like watching AIRPLANE.

I think we have some premieres this week but I am off my game :cry: I'll blame it on the frigid cold. :roll:
Myth
Vamp

Postby Paula » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:47 pm

I feel very sorry for Thomas. Normally, I like Carson, but he's been a real dick to him. Lay off already! You don't hit a man when he's already down.

Daisy just gets more and more annoying. Hope against hope someone on this show will tell her to put a sock in it.

I don't think Mary and Tom will pair up. DOWNTON ABBEY's bringing back Matthew Goode so she'll probably end up with him. Of course, I'd rather see any man Mary's interested in tell her to go take a flying leap. :lol:

Never watched GALAVANT or THE EXPANSE so I can't comment on them.

Did watch ANGIE TRIBECA. Yep, it wants to be like AIRPLANE or more accurately, POLICE SQUAD. Sadly, it's nowhere near as good as either of those productions. Didn't laugh once watching it.
Paula
Vamp

Postby Myth » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:01 pm

I just remembered that delightful comedy WAR AND PEACE will be on tonight on both the HISTORY channel and A&E. This is just Part One and I believe there are 6 parts. Just read a review and it was glowing.

AGENT CARTER returns tomorrow night. Love this series.

BASKETS starts 1/21. This looks weird ... so I'll probably watch.

BLACK SAILS will be back on 1/23. I do like this series and last Season was all kinds of :o :shock: :o . This Season Ray Ff''ing Stevenson joins the cast as Black Beard! Awesome.

I watched MERCY after DOWNTON ABBEY. Hmmmmm. I don't think Josh Radnor can act. He was on HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER which I never really watched. JR's scenes on MERCY just take me away from the story.

OH!!!!!! This starts 1/23 on Esquire http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4520906/?ref_=fn_al_tt_6.

I watched BILLIONS on SHOWTIME. Not impressed especially since the PTB are trying soooooooooooooooooooo hard to catch an audience with questionable scenes. I may watch more.
Myth
Vamp

Postby sister cuervo » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:22 pm

I might as well start binging on something. I can't muster the energy to go out. Maybe Black Sails?
What do you think? Are you guys snowed in?
sister cuervo
Vamp

Postby Myth » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:26 pm

sister cuervo wrote:I might as well start binging on something. I can't muster the energy to go out. Maybe Black Sails?
What do you think? Are you guys snowed in?

S.C
- I'm in Michigan and I feel absolutely charmed with the weather. We've had a warm winter and very little snow :D Hope it continues because we have had our share of 'nasty'. I feel sorry for the people in New Jersey with the flooding. Snow I can handle but flooding would break me.

BLACK SAILS would be a good binge but be prepared for 'talky' Season One. It is all set up but worth it IMO. I stuck with it and I feel the rewards. If violence and blood aren't a turn off for you then try BANSHEE or STRIKE BACK. These shows have gained a devoted following for a reason. Right now I am binging on MAD DOGS on Amazon and enjoying it greatly.

Loving AGENT CARTER :P
Myth
Vamp

Next

Return to TV Shows